Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Whoa!! A Busy Day Indeed!!

25 Jan 2011
Yes, it was totally a busy day for me as I spent most of my time inside the canpus. I went to Utar as early as 9.45am and only returned home around 12 something the next day (today). Wanna know what I did throughout the whole day? This is my story:

I woke up around 9am and had my breakfast before heading to the varsity. At first, I thought I was supposed to have directed study with Ms Joanna but unsure about the time whether is from 10am-12pm or 12pm-2pm. So I waited for her near her office. After half an hour her shadow still couldn't be seen, I texted her asking for the correct time. She replied saying it's 12pm-2pm. After received her reply, I headed to Block C Cafeteria.

While at the cafeteria, I went to help out with the fundraising the CF is currently having, selling apple pies and muffins of assorted flavours (blueberry, chocolate and strawberry) to raise fund for the upcoming CF camp in May.After having lunch there, I returned to Block A again and found Ms Joanna was in her room. We began the directed study and Ms Joanna wasn't sure how to conduct a directed study as this is the first time she's doing this. Anyway, I brought along the notes and we started working from there. As this was the first session, she requested me to read the chapter on the Indo-European family of languages and do a summary on it. She allowed me to go to the library to do the summary and hand in before 2pm if possible.

I headed to Block G after leaving her room. And I spent an hour there trying to complete the task but I couldn't. So I texted Ms Joanna, asking if I could hand in by tomorrow (today), and she agreed. After packing my stuff, I left the library and headed back to Block C Cafeteria. There, I dropped by the CF booth again and occasionally the ELS booth. ELS is having fundraising too, selling cupcakes for three days from 24 -26 Jan. There, I got to know more of my EL juniors, Puey Ru (chairperson), Esther Song and Natalie to name a few.

Around 4pm, once again, it's back to Block A again. This time I'm seeing Mr Soh for another session of directed study on Language Learning Theories. He and I discussed about whether I wanted to retain my previous coursework marks. And he suggested that I should retain it as my coursework marks was quite satisfactory. He explained that it would be burdensome for me if I were to redo my coursework. The only thing I need to work on was on the midterm exam where I faired extremely poor. Then Mr Soh asked me to read chapter one and ask him if there's any questions. Then, Nelson Kuah appeared at Mr Soh's office and Mr Soh was quite mad why he came late. Nelson explained that he encountered some problems in the DSA. Anyway Mr Soh told Nelson what he had already told me. We dismissed after that and Nelson and I parted ways.

Then, I headed in the direction of the Dry Cafeteria located btwn Block D and E. I decided to continue doing my summary and spent an hour there before going back to Block C once again to meet up with Kao Meng as he has summoned me to help out with the final preparation of the Welcoming Night. There were namy tasks to be completed but we settled one task at a time. Later more and more helpers turned up and they too started helping out. By 7pm, everyone was in their respective positions (after having dinner of course). I was in the ushering team together with a few CF members, Melody Leong, Cheng Hoi, Guang Yao, Wendy Lee just to name a few. Our duties was to welcome those who came for the event and guide them to registration counters. Church representatives and new members will receive a bookmark each upon registration.

Kao Meng summoned everyone to gather into 10 groups according to the number on bookmarks they had (CF members exclusive, they can just join whichever group they want). So I just simply chose and joined Tabitha's. (This was the 2nd time I'm in her group, having been in her group for welcoming prayer walk last week.) Kao Meng then introduced two games. First, one person has to say his/her name, the next person has to repeat the 1st person's name followed by his/her name, and so on. All the groups did this simaltanously, with whomever was slow or say wrongly a person's name would receive punishment from the game master. Each group would have one representative for punishment time. And I'm the 'lucky one' as I couldn't remember one of the girls' name.

The 10 people waiting for Kao Meng's further instructions. And I'm the 3rd person from the left.

The second game followed after this. This time around, all the 10 groups had to name themselves according to names of fruits, namely Mango, Apple, Orange, Durian, Mangosteen, Kiwi, Pineapple, Strawberry, Dragon Fruit and Avocado. What they needed to do was to bomb one another with the lines stating own group name and the targeted group's name (e.g "Mango bomb! Mango bomb! Mango bomb to Apple bomb!!"). Whinchever group made a mistake will be forfeited. In the end, Pineapple and Dragon Fruit were the joint losers and the group members were punished by writing UtarCF with their BUTTS!!

Okay playtime over. Let's get into business! Everyone headed into DDK3 and prepared themselves for a time of worship. Daniel Chi was the worship leader and musicians included Christopher, David and Wai Wai with Edmund controlling the slides. 3 songs were sung bilingually, namely How Great Is Our God, Lord I Lift Your Name On High and Beautiful Saviour. Later, emcees for the night, Mr Kuek and interpreter Chang En, welcomed everyone. Then they handed over the time to the CF choir. The choir consisted of 4 brothers and 4 sisters and they belted out several songs including I Will Follow Him and We Are The World.

After that, it's Pastor Nicky Ling's turn for his sermon and Chang En was the interpreter. In his sermon entitled Overcomer, he compared between life in schools and life in universities. At the end of his sermon, Pastor Nicky prayed for all who present before handing the time back to Mr K and Chang En. Then, everyone adjourned for light refreshments where this was the time that fellowship took place. There were several booths around the area where refreshment was served and freshies could find out more about various churches around Kampar. Soon, everyone started leaving for home and I'm no exception of course, having spending the entire day at the campus. And I arrived back in my own room at around 12.30am.

Yeah, that's all I wanna share. It was a great day indeed although I was tired. Oh ya, I didn't manage to snap any photos for the Welcoming Night. Do check out the following link for photos of this wonderful event: CF Welcoming Night Jan 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment